Website New Gold
Requisition ID 5548 – Posted 08/04/2022 – 7000 New Gold – Rainy River Mine – Emo, Ontario
Make an impact at Canada’s premier mining company.
When you advance your career at New Gold, you are joining a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development and exploration of mineral properties. Our mission is be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable value for our employee, shareholders, the communities in which we live and work and our environment. To learn more about New Gold, visit our website at www.newgold.com. To learn more about our culture and people practices, visit the Career page.
New Gold attracts and hires highly skilled individuals. By joining our team, you can look forward to:
- A stimulating values-based work environment
- A culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted commitment to responsible mining, health and safety and community engagement
- A competitive total compensation program
- A comprehensive benefits package including a retirement savings plan
Rainy River Mine
Situated in beautiful northwestern Ontario, 65 km northwest of Fort Frances, the Rainy River Mine is an open pit, gold and silver producing, residential mine site.
The Rainy River Mine, located adjacent to the Ontario / Minnesota border is 65 Kilometers northwest of Fort Frances, Ontario and is situated half way between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ontario The area is home to more than 130 species of birds and large populations of moose, black bear and deer. If you enjoy outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, winter sports and lake country then this is an area you will love to live and work in.
About the Role
Schedule: 5/2 and 4/3 – 9 hour days or rotation
Position Reports To: Mine Manager
In this position, you will be responsible for supervising all mine engineering staff both Open Pit and Underground and managing all mine functions at the Rainy River Mine to maximize the operation’s performance in a safe manner. You will oversee, coordinate and address engineering activities including annual budget, reserves, planning, surface and underground infrastructure, mine ventilation, geotechnical matters, material handling, month end reporting and managing consultants. You will develop, optimize, and implement the approved mine plan to achieve annual tonnage and ounce objectives in a safe and economic manner.
Manage activities related to programs, systems and procedures in mine design
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures in engineering
- oversee the production of drill pattern designs
- Monitor pit phase designs and short-term mine plans
- Develop monthly and weekly plans by coordinating activities and making adjustments where necessary
- Supervise production surveying
- Ensure that pit designs are effectively implemented in the field
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual budget and long-term strategies
- Confirm that planned production goals are realistic by conducting equipment studies
- Oversee the survey and drilling/blasting of activities to coordinate and prioritize the planning goals
- Merge short-term plans into long-term plans to avoid bottlenecks
- Evaluate short-term mine plans to ensure they are consistent with operational objectives
- Monitor the work of mining activities by reviewing the state of progress on compliance plans and specifications issued and analyzing the results of completed work
- Provide a response to various internal and external queries
Analyze data and provide technical documentation to support decision making
- Provide communication materials, manuals and other written materials related to systems, programs, or technical issues
- Research data to support decision making and improve procedures, technologies, or methodologies
- Keep current with trends related to mine design and integrate this information into work assignments and methodology
- Continually work to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set of self and team
Manage and lead the Mining Operation team
- Take a leading role in the employment and development of staff
- Ensure ongoing effective management of staff by setting clear performance goals, providing regular feedback and development through training
- Ensure direct reports are developed, trained, and coached to obtain optimum efficiencies
- Ensure there is the necessary staffing and equipment available to meet production targets and at the same time maintain costs within the established budget guidelines
- Ensure direct reports are assisted to achieve their full potential
- Resolve any employee relations issues that may arise
- Other related duties to support the team as required to ensure the Rainy River Mine is a success
- Degree in Mine Engineering
- 10 – 15 years of mine operation/engineering experience
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize job duties
- Effective oral and written communication skills with internal and external contacts
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work with all levels of the organization
Why New Gold?
- Highly competitive base salary, compensation programs and a quarterly incentive program
- Extended Health & Dental BEnefit
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance benefit
- Defined match contribution to group registered retirement savings account
- Relocation Package provided
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process. New Gold does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a forma contractual arrangement with the Company. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by New Gold will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered.
Inclusion, Equal Opportunity, Accessibility
New Gold is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request.
To apply for this job please visit career17.sapsf.com.
The Atikokan Employment Centre advertises the following job posting as a service to its clients and to the community. Atikokan Employment Centre is not responsible for the wording or content of the advertisements. All correspondence concerning each position should be directed to the contact name identified in the advertisement.