Are you an Occupational Therapist interested in supporting children and their families? Are you interested in working in a team environment with other professionals such as psychologists, pediatricians, speech language pathologists, dieticians, behaviour therapists, mental health counsellors, and others?
FIREFLY is a multi-service, non-profit organization located in Northwestern Ontario that has recently been designated a Children’s Treatment Centre. We are dedicated to supporting and strengthening the health and well-being of families, children, and youth through emotional, physical, developmental, and community services. Clients can access FIREFLY service in a variety of locations: centre based, in community (fly-in and drive-in communities), in schools, pre-schools, child care settings, home based and in-home visits. FIREFLY offices are located throughout Northwestern Ontario, providing a unique opportunity to build strong relationships with children and families, local colleagues and community partners. FIREFLY delivers many of our services in partnership with local First Nation organizations and is committed to building cultural safety into all that we do.
For additional information on what it is like to work at FIREFLY please take a few moments to watch to following video: https://youtu.be/AmiSO4lP-j0
FIREFLY is seeking a full time Occupational Therapist, to be located in our Sioux Lookout office.
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, the Occupational Therapist will engage in the screening, assessment, interpretation and rehabilitation of infants, children and youth with occupational performance issues such as sensory processing issues and fine motor difficulties. Duties will include caseload management, assessment, treatment planning, consultation, caregiver (home & school) training, and acting as a resource for other FIREFLY staff and community agencies as well as attending unit and service meetings. Additional opportunities can be considered based on experience and interest. You will work with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team. Exciting opportunities to travel to outlying First Nations communities will be provided. Occupational Therapists will have access to a mentor within the Agency.
Key Job Functions:
- Provide assessment of children referred through Intake on the basis of functional and developmental concerns, such as motor and sensory-motor related delays
- Develop programming based on initial and ongoing assessments. Review and modify programming as needed
- Maintain documentation as per college guidelines and FIREFLY policies and procedures
- Advocate on behalf of client for service, equipment and funding
- Work collaboratively with community based service providers and agencies to meet identified needs and enhance delivery of care. Act as a resource for FIREFLY staff and community agencies
- Extensive travel required
- Masters or Bachelor Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Member in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- Previous experience in a pediatric setting will be considered an asset
- Sound knowledge of normal/abnormal child development
- Understanding of the Anishinaabe Culture, First Nation Communities and language is a definite asset
- Ability to use a wide range of assessment tools
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of occupational therapy techniques
- Ability to work creatively with clients both individually and in group settings
- Sensitivity to the needs of parents/caregivers and the ability to support and involve them in programming
- Computer literate with experience in electronic client file entry
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
- Fluency in French would be an asset
- FIREFLY is committed to family engagement in the development and delivery of services
Conditions of Employment:
- The ability to manage a reasonable workload; effective priority-setting and follow-up
- Role model the vision and values of the Agency
- Value the concept of teamwork and ability to work independently
- Ability to deal with conflict, mediate and problem solve
- Quality of work to meet or exceed Agency specifications
- Current clear Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check is required
- Must respect and actively promote health and safety policies of the Agency
Benefits of working at FIREFLY:
- Clinical supervision, support, and mentorship (we love supporting new grads!) for both new and seasoned clinicians by an experienced front-line Occupational Therapist who is also providing similar work and understands the pressures you may feel.
- Pension Plan (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan HOOPP).
- Professional development opportunities including access to educational websites and opportunity to attend trainings.
- Vacation entitlement starting at 4 weeks per year with a gradual increase after 3 years.
- Paid sick leave accrued monthly up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Additional paid days off: Wellness Days (3 total per fiscal year) and Community Service and Cultural Days (3 total per fiscal year).
- Option to work towards a self-funded leave (i.e. 4 over 5).
- Flexibility within the 35 hour workweek to meet the needs of the client and yourself. Opportunity to bank overtime to be used as additional vacation.
- Excellent benefit plan with coverage including health, dental, vision, travel, life insurance and critical illness with 100% of the premiums paid by FIREFLY.
- Short and long term disability coverage paid by employee.
- Ability to join, contribute, and learn from a multitude of committees that support your progressive attitude including neurodiversity, inclusion, ethics, family engagement, wellness, truth and reconciliation.
- A supportive team and great workplace culture.
Still not sure if FIREFLY is the agency for you? Would you like to interview us? We would be happy to give you an in-person or virtual tour and connect you with some of our amazing team members.
This position is open until filled by someone awesome like you!
Is your partner relocating with you and you are interested in exploring what opportunities exist for them in the local area? Please reach out to [email protected]. We may be able to help!
To apply for this job please visit fireflynw.bamboohr.com.
The Atikokan Employment Centre advertises the following job posting as a service to its clients and to the community. Atikokan Employment Centre is not responsible for the wording or content of the advertisements. All correspondence concerning each position should be directed to the contact name identified in the advertisement.