Website New Gold
Requisition ID 5763 – Posted 11/08/2022 – 7000 New Gold – Rainy River Mine – Emo, Ontario
Make an impact at Canada’s premier mining company.
When you advance your career at New Gold, you are joining a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development and exploration of mineral properties. Our mission is to be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable value for our employee, shareholders, the communities in which we live and work and our environment. New Gold would like to acknowledge the lands and resources of the Treaty 3 Territory and respect the traditional values of our First Nation partners. To learn more about New Gold, visit our website at www.newgold.com. To learn more about our culture and people practices, visit the Career page.
New Gold attracts and hires highly skilled individuals. By joining our team, you can look forward to:
- A stimulating values-based work environment
- A culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted commitment to responsible mining, health and safety and community engagement
- A competitive total compensation program
- A comprehensive benefits package including a retirement savings plan
Rainy River Mine
Situated in beautiful northwestern Ontario, 65 km northwest of Fort Frances, the Rainy River Mine is an open pit, gold and silver producing, residential mine site.
The Rainy River Mine, located adjacent to the Ontario / Minnesota border is 65 Kilometers northwest of Fort Frances, Ontario and is situated halfway between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, Ontario. The area is home to more than 130 species of birds and large populations of moose, black bear and deer. If you enjoy outdoor activities including hunting, fishing, winter sports and lake country then this is an area you will love to live and work in.
Applicants who reside in Northwestern Ontario and have experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the Northwest Ontario, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the Impact Benefits Agreement (IBA) and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Ontario communities. (Indigenous) Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
About the Role
Schedule: Shift 5/2/4/3
Position Reports To: Safety & Security Manager
Working closely with Operations, the role of Surface Safety Advisor is to promote, coordinate, and implement activities to maintain and improve high levels of health, safety and security in the mine setting. The incumbent will develop and implement programs and activities necessary to prevent incidents that may result in personal injury or property damage, prepare emergency response plans, support industrial hygiene management including associated testing, and provide Common Core training for staff. This position is based full-time at the Mine Site on a 5 on, 2 off, 4 on, 3 off schedule 7-4:30 dayshift.
Develop, implement and convey health and safety procedures
- Support site safety programs and procedures and participate in risk assessments
- Inform supervisors and staff about the health and safety content of training courses
- Work with other operations to determine current safety and training issues
- Respond to queries and provide information to all employees and safety committees
- Assist in the management complex health and safety issues relating to the mine environment
- Participate and/or lead incident/accident investigations
Implement activities for employee health and safety
- Participate in toolbox talks of departments
- Develop toolbox topics
- Ensure the effective implementation of all health and safety related activities
- Maintain the Contractor Safety management Program
- Adhere to policies and procedures related to health and safety
- Prepare reports and complete required documentation related to health and safety
- Ensure required reference material is current and consistent with regulations and policies
- Establish and manage a data tracking system
- Provide technical H&S assistance with capital and construction-based projects related to health and safety
- Support compliance with Ontario Mine Rescue requirements
- College or Technical diploma in a related field
- CSRP or equivalent is an asset
- Operational experience in the mining field
- 3-5 years of related health and safety experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations for Mines and Mining Plants as they pertain to mining
- Strong organization skills with the ability to plan and schedule programs and activities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to function with all levels of the organization with multiple internal and external stakeholders
Why New Gold?
- Highly competitive base salary, compensation programs and a quarterly incentive program
- Extended Health & Dental Benefit
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance benefit
- Defined match contribution to group registered retirement savings account
- Camp and Travel Allowance provided or Relocation Package
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process. New Gold does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with the Company. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by New Gold will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered.
Inclusion. Equal Opportunity. Accessibility.
New Gold is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request.
To apply for this job please visit career17.sapsf.com.
The Atikokan Employment Centre advertises the following job posting as a service to its clients and to the community. Atikokan Employment Centre is not responsible for the wording or content of the advertisements. All correspondence concerning each position should be directed to the contact name identified in the advertisement.