Job no: KFABX
Full-time permanent position, day shift with some flexibility in hours
Overtime when available will be evenings and weekends
Competitive hourly rate ($17-19 per hour based on previous experience)
Benefits, and defined contribution pension plan
Opportunity to work independently outdoors
Are you ready to behind your career in a fast-growing company offering stable work in a field where our services are in demand.
Look no further. GTel is hiring and training Damage Prevention Technicians to complete utility locates in your area right now.
Our technicians prevent significant damage and even danger by making sure utility lines are marked and visible.
If you’ve ever seen a thin metal rod sticking up from someone’s lawn — usually topped with a brightly coloured pennant – that’s where a damage prevention technician or utility locator has found and marked the path of underground utility lines through neighbourhoods.
In this role, you will:
- Use state of the art locating equipment, geographic information systems (GIS), maps, and engineering drawings to identify the location of underground utilities
- Thoroughly search for all gas, phone and fiber optic cable in an area and mark them with spray paint/coloured flags
- Prepare reports and documentation to track the work you and your team are doing across the city
You’ll be supplied with a company vehicle, phone and laptop for work use. You’ll work on your own, travelling to sites within your territory. You’ll mostly work Monday to Friday during the day with flexible hours, with overtime work on the weekends or evenings as required.
- Have experience, or definitely would enjoy, working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Have a high school diploma
- Be willing to obtain and wear CSA approved steel toe safety boots
- Have strong computer literacy and ability to sue new software/Microsoft Office
- Willing to work overtime when required
A Condition of Employment for this role is:
- That you hold a valid G driver’s license at the time of application
- That you possess a clean driving record
- That you are willing to take a criminal background check
- That you wear mandatory PPE
- That you have the ability to read road signs and distinguish colours
- Must be physically able to walk long distances up to 20-25,000 steps a day in all weather conditions
- Engage in repetitive arm motions and use a shovel and other similar equipment
- Be able to lift and carry up to 20lbs at a time
- Be able to sit in a car for up to 3 hours at a time
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Experience in construction, farming, utilities (e.g., gas fitting or electrical background), land surveying, GIS, or similar
- Experience working as a Damage Prevention Technician or Utility Locator would be an asset but is not required
Applying with Ian Martin
You’ll be hired by GTel but will start your application with the Ian Martin Group – an Engineering and IT staffing firm with over 60 years’ experience. When you apply, you’ll get more than just a chance at a great job – you’ll become part of a vast network of employers that are always changing.
We strive to build teams that reflect the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit www.livehire.com.
The Atikokan Employment Centre advertises the following job posting as a service to its clients and to the community. Atikokan Employment Centre is not responsible for the wording or content of the advertisements. All correspondence concerning each position should be directed to the contact name identified in the advertisement.